Although the winter season is in the rear-view mirror, the effects of a harsh winter can last long into spring. We’ve put together a handy spring-cleaning list to get your property in tip-top shape for the summer. These simple reminders and inspections can save you a lot of money in the long run by correcting a small problem before it turns into a huge expense.
1. Conduct an inspection. Check your fence for loose boards and nails, check pathways and retaining walls for loose stones. Schedule repairs as soon as possible to avoid further damages.
2. Invest in a power-washer. Now is a great time to power-wash siding, decks and fences. Blasting away dirt, salt and grime will greatly prolong the life of your investments.
3. Seal and stain. Once cleaned, adding a protective layer of sealant to your fences and decks will add durability and protection against moisture and sun exposure.
4. Clean and take apart windows, fill in any cracks, replace broken screens and let the sunshine in!
5. Check the roof! Here in Ontario and across Canada we’ve had some extreme weather, check the roof for damage and missing shingles.
6. Remove debris. You might find branches down as a result of the ice and snow, take this opportunity to clean out your gutters to avoid water damage to your house too!
7. Remove covers on shrubs and trees, grab your gardening gloves it’s a great time to get rid of pesky weeds!
8. If you have a chain link fence, you’ll want to make sure there aren’t any holes or spots where the fence is pulling away from the ground due to frost. This could lead to unwanted traffic!
9. Throw down some grass seed and soil, seeds love rain and there’s plenty in the forecast this spring!
10. Set up outdoor spaces. Now that spring is finally here, it’s a great time to pull out outdoor furniture, make note of any repairs or replacements (speaking from experience matching chair cushions are hard to find by June!) And enjoy! All your hard work has paid off!